Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Redecision flowchart - edit #1

Sometimes I do requests.
Here is one for my good friend.

Redecision flowchart

Children make early decisions about them self, others and life. These are mostly formed and set by the end of the first decade of life. Usually people do not alter these but by the process of redecision they can be altered.

Teletubby

Many years ago it was Freud who first coined the phrase, “repetition compulsion”. That is people have a compulsion to repeat the same behaviours, thoughts and feelings over and over in their lives. Since that time many have said the same in various forms and ways. People behave in patterns and this is no more obvious than in their relationships. People do the same things over and over in the ways they relate to others.

These early decisions are one explanation of how the basis for the patterns are formed. When the 4 year old child makes its decision they get set in the psyche and as I said often remain unchanged for the rest of their life. Redecision therapy is one means by which a person can change such decisions.

boy throw rock at tank
What decisions will this child make in this situation? The pattern is being set. When he is 30 years old how will he compulsively repeat the same pattern with adult behaviour.


Graffiti

9 comments:

  1. One of my repeated patterns is challenging common ideas. I think that patterns are real and necessary. The gem in your comment is compulsively, the type we counselors run into since the pressure to repeat interferes with proposing useful change, thoughtful change.

    Thanks for the wording that helped me see the value in a concept that has bothered me. Jon Wagner

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1.love the first photo.
    2. Whoever you did the request for probably feels special that you did that for them. That is lovely.

    Kahless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you kahless,

    I like to do nice things for people. Indeed sometimes I feel like I would like to do a nice thing for you but you seem to disappear from time to time but I am always glad when you come back and say hello

    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I have noticed before that pattern you have Jon of challenging ideas! Also glad you got something out of my short posting here.

    I certainly see it as a compulsion and that humans don’t have a choice in one way.

    The infant enters the world and one could unkindly say they function as a confused idiot. They have no filters or selection process for the data coming in. They must develop a filtering system so they can function and communicate. The infant receives 100 units of data per hour which overloads its information processing system. By putting filters in place (Making script decisions) it can reduce that data input to 10 units of data per hour. If it does not do this it remains a confused idiot.

    But because we filter out other information we are then seeing the world in patterns that are not actually there. And hence we behave in patterns that are not always desirable.

    So in response to your comment. I would go further than calling it just a compulsion and see it is a genetically inbred need or else the human race would cease to exist because no body could move beyond the thinking style of a new born infant.

    Hence I have always been of the view that psychological health is not to be script free but to have a winners script.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tony,
    You have already done nice things for me in the past.
    Kahless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Kahless,
    But I also say things like I think you should relapse in your effots to give up the ciggies

    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are just teasing me. In a gentle way of course. No ciggies and I even have stopped counting the weeks now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Though I think I am grieving them. The ciggies that is. I am grieving the loss. Sounds silly but I think it true.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK Kahless,

    Sounds like you need to do some 2 chair good bye work with your packet of ciggies.

    Remember that cool, smooth flavour of camel!

    Tony

    ReplyDelete